Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hunger


I thought about the above image this past week while I was talking to someone about what makes them cranky.  They weren't getting enough sleep and got cranky and had a bad day at school.  I get cranky when I'm hungry.  I realized that this is another aspect of my success: I'm addressing my hunger.

First of all, all of my meals are filling and healthy so that I can have large portions that satisfy.  This largely keeps hunger at bay, which largely keeps cravings in check, which largely keeps me in a good mood.  God, I can be such a witch when I'm hungry.  Just to divert into a story for a minute, I think the best example was on a Sunday post-LARP.  Now, I tend not to eat until we gather at a diner at about noon time.  Big trouble.  This particular time, we were also trying to do a video project that ran long, and we had planned to film part of it in the diner.  That didn't really work out for PR reasons.  When my boyfriend turned to me and asked me what I wanted to do, I distinctly remember snapping and saying,  "I just... I'M TIRED AND HUNGRY AND I WANT TO EAT!"  I knew I was wrong for being upset, because it really wasn't anyone's fault, but people seemed to understand.  A friend hugged me and told my boyfriend, "Get this girl something to eat."  We got burgers and french fries at a drive-through, and I felt instantly better.  You can not keep me hungry and expect me to be civil.  It doesn't work that way.  Moving on...

Second of all, I snack on what I crave for including salty nuts, chocolate, salty and crunchies, and cheese.  Is it healthy?  Probably not, but the fact that my smallest portions are the things I really want help me stick to my overall plan.

Finally, my mother was wrong.  She once told me that for a diet to work, you have to be a little bit hungry all of the time.  Uuuhhh, no.  Not for me, ma.  Sorry.  I know me.  When I'm hungry, it's time to look for a snack, and not necessarily a healthy one.  What I'm saying is, know yourself and work that into your plan.  I don't want to hear you nay-sayers talk to me about how this is unhealthy, won't work in the long run, etc.  This is how I've got to do it.  You go on doing what you got to do.

1 comment:

Jenica said...

The thing I've found to be really interesting is that as I curtailed my emotional eating and dealt with my actual emotions, I discovered what my "I'm hungry" reactions really are.