Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Safe Harbor

I don't think people always "get" me and my husband. I do think that people think we're boring, and that we are somehow deprived for not having some hot-and-heavy, dramatic, super romantic kind of love you see in TV shows and movies. Part of this is because I'd describe Alex as "perfectly safe." I see how that sounds boring, but for a person who comes from a lot of trauma inflicted by people who were supposed to love me, "perfectly safe" is perfectly perfect.

No matter how far I wander away from shore, I can always look back to my safe harbor and there he is, like a lighthouse beaming out across the water no matter how foggy things get. "Hey," he says in that specific tone, the way he has throughout our five-and-a-half year relationship. That "hey" is the light. He calls out to me to look back at the shore. "Hey," he says, "I'm here." "Hey," he says, "you're safe." "Hey," he says, "I love you."

Those are the most crazy romantic moments for us. I feel a warmth blossom in my chest and I'm smiling inside and out because I'm safe, really and truly safe with him. Always.


No comments: