Monday, June 25, 2018

A Line in the Sand

You know, things change. Facts are acquired and decisions can be altered so I'm not fool enough to say that my mind is made up and that's that, but this is where I'm at as of right fucking now and I need people to be crystal fucking clear about this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my husband is the best person I know. Time and again he's put me first. He's helped me, supported me, and never, ever hurt me. In three months and a day we'll have been together for 8 years, married for 3. I half-expect him to change out of nowhere. This is an improvement from the beginning of our relationship when I fully expected him to change and start to treat me badly or realize I wasn't worth the effort and leave me. The fact is, he hasn't changed. He's been steady. He even got better somehow.

After a week away from him on vacation and coming in later than expected my husband had dinner ready, the house picked up, and was fully ready to take care of me in every way possible. From doing emotional labor with me based on difficulties during my vacation to giving me a full body massage to ease my stress and even giving me space to zone out, he has been utterly perfect. That's not to say that I believe my husband is perfect. He's just perfect for me. He's my best friend, my person, and he makes me so incredibly happy.

So let me be clear: you cannot support me and not support my husband. I do not accept that. I am sick and tired of people treating my husband like shit and letting the both of us down based on lies or people not able to deal with their feelings like goddamn adults. My husband deserves praise and love just like I do. He doesn't deserve the scorn, lies, and abandonment he's gotten. I've been there to support him while people put him down just for reaching out and checking in on them once a fucking month. What the actual fuck, people? Why can't people see this is like the very bare minimum to try to be a good friend? When was the last time you reached out? Alex likes to internalize a lot of how people let us down and make it about him and his flaws but he's owning too much that doesn't belong to him because others won't own their shit and I'm tired of it.

Accept the both of us - our friendship, our love, and our united front - or see yourself to the door. I'm completely fed up.

No comments: