Saturday, June 9, 2018

Dark Hours

It's not that I feel a need to explain myself, but more just figure myself out. Today did not start out well. The weekends are not going well for me in general because I lack the usual stressful social chaos that used to be my life. With this time, my brain has time to ruminate. I tried to make some sort of routine for myself. That didn't go anywhere.

It starts with having trouble wanting to get out of bed in the morning. Hours can pass so quickly. I swear I'm not there so long, but before I know it it's close to noon and I meant to get out of bed at eight. "What is the point?" I think to myself. My depressed mind seduces me with all sorts of awful, mean thoughts about how the people I cared about never really cared about me, how my life was a lie, and how the people who remain are growing tired of me. They would be better off without me.

I know I should reach out, but I'm completely frozen. What if they're having a hard time, too? What if they're having a harder time? I have friends and loved ones losing parents, dealing with homelessness, and having their social lives ripped apart through no choice of their own, unlike me. I feel guilty for engaging in Pain Olympics, even mentally. If they wanted to hear from me, they would have reached out. How long has it been since they did? I check. I get sad. I feel guilty again. People have lives, and I knew how social entropy would work here. I made my choices and I am sticking to them.

The pain builds so much that I start crying just to relieve something, and then I get up and manage to drag myself downstairs to do basic things like take my medications and eat. I even brew up some tea. Now people are reaching out and I can't feel anything. I can't smile. I can't laugh, and I don't want to. I cry again. Now my brain is thinking some more seductive and very scary thoughts, the making arrangements and writing a note kind. I let my mind mull over that for a little while as my tea gets cold and consider not telling anyone what I'm thinking. I tell my husband anyway.

After a long delay, I drag myself to the shower and wash my hair for the first time since I got it re-dyed, which means a lot of dye leaking out of my hair. Feels kind of therapeutic. I decide to do every bit of grooming and moisturizing I can from head to toe, and then I dry my hair and decide to do my makeup. Now I'm starting to feel normal again.

In the middle of doing my makeup, my husband comes up with a vase of flowers from my boyfriend. This is my life now. Yeah, it feels weird to me too, but it definitely makes me feel better. I finish my makeup and head out for a planned pedicure and not a moment too soon apparently. Toenails were about to revolt.

By the time I get home and my husband and I get to the movies, I feel completely like my normal self, but at the beginning of the day I thought that there was no way to salvage a day that started out as badly as this one did seemingly without cause.

I don't know if this is the way it is for everyone. I know what to do, or what I should do, to cope and get myself out of those dark hours when I'm feeling so low that I don't know if I can get back up again. I have a tried and true crisis plan, and I know what works for me. Sometimes, despite my experience to the contrary, I lose faith that my plans and tactics work, or that my support system will be able to catch me this time. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't.

Today was hard. I survived anyway.

No comments: