Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Remission

The scariest part of getting better is remembering all of the other times you got better before and how bitter you felt when it went away again. I once had a two-week remission from my depression. I can't explain what happened, and for people who don't know what it's like it might be hard to understand, but I was just, without explanation, free from all of my depressive symptoms for two glorious weeks. I was productive, happy, and the tapes in my head were mysteriously not present. This has happened exactly once in my life. Besides that, I've had a couple of good days to string together, but basically I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember.

Recently my brain decided to get over my most recent trauma and I've been much happier since. Even while I watch the people I love struggling, my brain has managed to stay afloat. I'm productive, calm, happy, and I can even relax (no small feat for a deeply traumatized person who carries the trauma in their body in the form of low-key tension so bad that every professional that's ever done muscle work on me is alarmed). I've had much less hours at work, a bounty of new clients to work with, time with my husband, and time for self-care. It feels nice to be able to do my hair and makeup more often now. It's how I do some of my self-care. I've also continued therapy, done my affirmations more mornings than not, journaled a bit, got a professional reiki session, and attended a meditation class. EMDR sessions start in November. I'm hopeful, but cautiously so.

A lot has changed about my life recently, and the brain likes novelty, so it's probably giving me an extra dose of feel-good chemicals that I don't usually get because, you know, depression. This isn't like that one remission I had before. That felt like a whole different level of great. Still, I wonder and fear how long this will last. I hope this is just the way life is right now, and not just another remission, but I know better than that.

No comments: