Thursday, January 9, 2020

Dear Ellis: A Word Before You Arrive

Dear Ellis,

Let me start by saying thank you. You gave me the best, easiest pregnancy I never heard of. You see, people like to tell stories of strange and dramatic pregnancy-related events and that used to scare me. Yeah, I was really tired a lot but otherwise you've taken it completely easy on me. You had me really worried in the beginning because I wasn't expecting you and I just worry a lot, but since you were as big as a gummy bear you've given me no problem at all.

What you did give me was the strength to move on and keep trying during a difficult time in my life. I've not always been good about doing things for myself purely for myself. It was much easier to think about what was best for you. I was able to keep my stress low and make the decisions I had to because I was always thinking about you. Yes, there was a particularly difficult couple of months when I tried to stop medicine to see if I could do that for you, but by then you would wiggle to remind me why I had to keep fighting.

I used to be scared about pregnancy, childbirth, and mommyhood but ever since I knew you would be coming that's mostly gone away. I used to think I'd be emotional and out of control, but you helped me realize that I am still always me and I can trust myself. I used to worry that I'd be annoyed by your kicking and miserable about pregnancy side-effects but you made me smile every time I felt you move and hey, we could all use more naps sometimes, right?

I'm just so excited to meet you! I know you're going to be loved, and we'll never be alone in any of this. So many people are already loving you and excited to see what kind of person you're going to be, including me of course. I just know you'll be a good baby and an amazing person and I'm honored to be your mommy through it all.

Be seeing you soon,
Momma

No comments: