Monday, August 11, 2014

I (Finally) Raced a 5k!

I've tried the Couch-to-5k program about two or three times before.  I believe I reached weeks 6-7 out of nine every time.  I should also mention that I was always doing this on a treadmill, which now I realize is probably the worst way I could have done this, but I hadn't read anything to discourage me from trying it this way.  Needless to say, when Alex suggested that we give RunKeeper's Beginner 5k training a try, I wasn't brimming with confidence.  My previous failures seemed to add up to the reality that running for that long just wasn't something my body was capable of.

Through this process I've learned to stop putting mental limits on my body, because they are largely mental.  With enough time and patience, I've learned that I can accomplish most anything I try.  If I've fallen short in anything in my previous attempts, it would probably be having the patience to give whatever I'm doing enough time to develop.

So, I raced a 5k on Friday morning, the 8th.  The whole time I was running I was aware of how hard my body was working but also how strong I felt and how capable I felt that I could keep going and keep pushing myself.  I was hoping to time in under 35 minutes for the race.  Here's what I ended up with:
At a wedding over the weekend, Alex couldn't resist grabbing my booty and saying, "That's a 5k booty.  Imagine what a 10k booty will be like."  The 10k training starts tomorrow! 

No comments: